Stainless Steel Coupling Gear Rigid Roller Chain Fluid Tyre Grid Jaw Spider HRC Nm Motor Flange Gear Pump Rubber Spline Shaft Flexible Universal Joint Coupling
Coupling refers to a device that connects 2 shafts or shafts and rotating parts, rotates together during the transmission of motion and power, and does not disengage under normal conditions. Sometimes it is also used as a safety device to prevent the connected parts from bearing excessive load, which plays the role of overload protection.
Couplings can be divided into rigid couplings and flexible couplings.
Rigid couplings do not have buffering property and the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes. It is required that the 2 axes be strictly aligned. However, such couplings are simple in structure, low in manufacturing cost, convenient in assembly and disassembly, and maintenance, which can ensure that the 2 axes are relatively neutral, have large transmission torque, and are widely used. Commonly used are flange coupling, sleeve coupling and jacket coupling.
Flexible coupling can also be divided into flexible coupling without elastic element and flexible coupling with elastic element. The former type only has the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, but cannot cushion and reduce vibration. Common types include slider coupling, gear coupling, universal coupling and chain coupling; The latter type contains elastic elements. In addition to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, it also has the functions of buffering and vibration reduction. However, due to the strength of elastic elements, the transmitted torque is generally inferior to that of flexible couplings without elastic elements. Common types include elastic sleeve pin couplings, elastic pin couplings, quincunx couplings, tire type couplings, serpentine spring couplings, spring couplings, etc
1) Mobility. The movability of the coupling refers to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 rotating components. Factors such as manufacturing and installation errors between connected components, temperature changes during operation and deformation under load all put CHINAMFG requirements for mobility. The movable performance compensates or alleviates the additional load between shafts, bearings, couplings and other components caused by the relative displacement between rotating components.
(2) Buffering. For the occasions where the load is often started or the working load changes, the coupling shall be equipped with elastic elements that play the role of cushioning and vibration reduction to protect the prime mover and the working machine from little or no damage.
(3) Safe, reliable, with sufficient strength and service life.
(4) Simple structure, easy to assemble, disassemble and maintain.
How to select the appropriate coupling type
The following items should be considered when selecting the coupling type.
1. The size and nature of the required transmission torque, the requirements for buffering and damping functions, and whether resonance may occur.
2. The relative displacement of the axes of the 2 shafts is caused by manufacturing and assembly errors, shaft load and thermal expansion deformation, and relative movement between components.
3. Permissible overall dimensions and installation methods, and necessary operating space for assembly, adjustment and maintenance. For large couplings, they should be able to be disassembled without axial movement of the shaft.
In addition, the working environment, service life, lubrication, sealing, economy and other conditions should also be considered, and a suitable coupling type should be selected by referring to the characteristics of various couplings.
If you cannot determine the type, you can contact our professional engineer
Main production equipment:
Large lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, gear shaper, spline milling machine, horizontal broaching machine, gear hobbing machine, shaper, slotting machine, bench drilling machine, radial drilling machine, boring machine, band sawing machine, horizontal lathe, end milling machine, crankshaft grinder, CNC milling machine, casting equipment, etc.
Dynamic balance tester, high-speed intelligent carbon and sulfur analyzer, Blochon optical hardness tester, Leeb hardness tester, magnetic yoke flaw detector, special detection, modular fixture (self-made), etc.
Application – Photos from our partner customers
Our leading products are mechanical transmission basic parts – couplings, mainly including universal couplings, drum gear couplings, elastic couplings and other 3 categories of more than 30 series of varieties. It is widely used in metallurgical steel rolling, wind power, hydropower, mining, engineering machinery, petrochemical, lifting, paper making, rubber, rail transit, shipbuilding and marine engineering and other industries.
Our factory takes the basic parts of national standards as the benchmark, has more than 40 years of coupling production experience, takes “scientific management, pioneering and innovation, ensuring quality and customer satisfaction” as the quality policy, and aims to continuously provide users with satisfactory products and services. The production is guided by reasonable process, and the ISO9001:2015 quality management system standard is strictly implemented. We adhere to the principle of continuous improvement and innovation of coupling products. In recent years, it has successfully developed 10 national patent products such as SWF cross shaft universal coupling, among which the double cross shaft universal joint has won the national invention patent, SWF cross shaft universal coupling has won the new product award of China’s general mechanical parts coupling industry and the ZHangZhoug Province new product science and technology project.
Our factory has strong technical force, excellent process equipment, complete professional production equipment, perfect detection means, excellent after-sales service, various products and complete specifications. At the same time, we can provide the design and manufacturing of special non-standard products according to the needs of users. Our products sell well at home and abroad, and are trusted by the majority of users. We sincerely welcome friends from all walks of life at home and abroad to visit and negotiate for common development.p
How to Install and Align a Universal Coupling in a Mechanical Assembly
Proper installation and alignment of a universal coupling are crucial for its efficient and reliable operation. Here are the steps to install and align a universal coupling in a mechanical assembly:
- Prepare the Coupling Components: Ensure that all the universal coupling components are clean and free from any dirt, debris, or damage. Verify that the shafts to be connected are appropriately sized and compatible with the coupling.
- Inspect the Coupling: Check the universal coupling’s spider or cross assembly for any signs of wear, cracks, or damage. Replace the spider if it shows any signs of deterioration.
- Align the Shafts: Position the two shafts that need to be connected to the universal coupling. Align the shafts as closely as possible, aiming for minimum misalignment. Ensure that the shafts are parallel and that the angular misalignment is within the coupling’s specified tolerance.
- Insert the Spider: Carefully insert the spider or cross assembly into the forks of the universal coupling. Make sure the spider is properly seated and fits securely in both forks.
- Secure the Coupling: Depending on the type of universal coupling, secure the forks onto the shafts using set screws, bolts, or clamps. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for the specific coupling model.
- Check for Free Movement: After securing the coupling, check that the spider allows for free movement of the shafts within the specified angular and axial limits. The shafts should rotate smoothly without any binding or interference.
- Perform a Trial Run: Before finalizing the installation, perform a trial run to ensure that the coupling operates smoothly and without any unusual vibrations or noises.
- Make Final Adjustments: If necessary, make minor adjustments to the alignment or coupling position to optimize the performance. Recheck the shaft alignment and ensure that it meets the required specifications.
- Tighten Fasteners: Once the alignment is satisfactory, tighten all the fasteners securely to prevent any movement or slippage during operation.
- Perform Regular Maintenance: Schedule regular inspections and maintenance for the universal coupling to ensure its continued performance and reliability. Lubricate the coupling as per the manufacturer’s recommendations to reduce wear and friction.
Remember that accurate alignment of the universal coupling will minimize stress on the shafts and extend the lifespan of the coupling and connected components. If you are unsure about the installation process or the coupling’s compatibility with your system, consult the manufacturer or a qualified engineer for guidance.
How do you calculate the required size and specifications for a half coupling?
Calculating the required size and specifications for a half coupling involves considering several factors to ensure a proper fit and secure connection. Here are the steps to calculate the required size and specifications:
1. Pipe Size: Determine the size of the pipe that the half coupling will connect to. Pipe sizes are typically specified in inches, and the half coupling size should match the pipe size.
2. Pipe Material: Identify the material of the pipe, such as stainless steel, PVC, carbon steel, brass, copper, etc. The half coupling material should be compatible with the pipe material to prevent corrosion and ensure a reliable connection.
3. Pressure Rating: Determine the maximum operating pressure of the system. The half coupling should have a pressure rating that meets or exceeds the system’s operating pressure to ensure safety and performance.
4. Temperature Rating: Consider the maximum and minimum operating temperatures of the system. The half coupling material and design should be suitable for the temperature range to prevent deformation or failure.
5. Alignment and Misalignment: Evaluate the alignment and potential misalignment between the pipes. Some half couplings are designed to accommodate angular, parallel, or axial misalignment, providing flexibility in installation.
6. End Connection: Determine the type of end connection required for the half coupling, such as threaded, weld-on, or flanged. The end connection should match the corresponding connection on the pipe.
7. Corrosion Resistance: Consider the environment in which the half coupling will be installed. For corrosive environments, select a half coupling material with suitable corrosion resistance.
8. Industry Standards: Ensure that the selected half coupling complies with relevant industry standards and certifications for quality and safety.
9. Manufacturer Guidelines: Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations for selecting the appropriate half coupling size and specifications based on the application requirements.
It is essential to consult with coupling manufacturers, suppliers, or industry experts if you are unsure about the correct size and specifications for the half coupling. Proper sizing and selection will ensure a reliable and efficient connection in the piping system.
What are the Different Types of Universal Couplings Available in the Market?
Universal couplings, also known as universal joints or U-joints, come in various designs to meet the specific needs of different applications. The main types of universal couplings available in the market include:
- Single Universal Joint: This is the most common type of universal coupling and consists of two yokes connected by a cross-shaped intermediate component. It allows for angular misalignment between the two shafts.
- Double Universal Joint: Also known as a double Cardan joint, this type of coupling uses two single universal joints connected end-to-end with an intermediate shaft in between. It is used to minimize the angular variation between the input and output shafts, reducing vibration in certain applications.
- Constant Velocity Joint (CV Joint): A CV joint is a specialized type of universal joint that maintains a constant velocity ratio between the input and output shafts. It is commonly used in automotive drive shafts to provide smooth power transmission even at varying angles.
- Disc Coupling: A disc coupling, also known as a diaphragm coupling, is a type of universal coupling that uses a series of flexible metal discs to transmit torque between the shafts. It provides high torsional stiffness and can accommodate misalignment in multiple directions.
- Flex Joint Coupling: The flex joint coupling is designed to handle large angular misalignments and axial movements. It is commonly used in applications with significant shaft misalignment and torsional flexibility requirements.
The choice of universal coupling type depends on factors such as the required range of motion, misalignment angles, torque capacity, and application-specific requirements. Engineers and designers select the appropriate coupling type based on the specific needs of the mechanical system to ensure reliable and efficient power transmission while accommodating shaft misalignment and angular variation.
editor by CX 2023-09-27